Update, CBC news.
The man accused of holding hostages in the Workers' Compensation Board building in downtown Edmonton last October is on a hunger strike.
Nine people were taken hostage after a man entered the building around 8:45 a.m. Oct. 21, and fired a shot. After a day-long standoff, the man surrendered peacefully. No one was injured.
Patrick Clayton, who is being held at the Remand Centre in Edmonton, hasn't eaten in 17 days, said Christine Nardella, who speaks for Alberta's Solicitor General's department. He is taking fluids.
"I'm standing here with my legs shaking, my eyes droopy, pretty light-headed," Clayton told CBC News. "I was 207 pounds when I first started, and I'm under 180."
"I'm assuming I'll be falling on my face here pretty quick, like within the next couple days, and then they'll rush me to the hospital, right?"
Clayton is being held in a separate medical unit, where a nurse is monitoring his health, said Nardella.
Clayton said he was protesting against the treatment he received for his injured knee through the compensation board.
āIām trying to bring awareness for all of those people who were wrongfully treated through WCB.ā
He has been charged with nine counts of unlawful confinement and six counts of pointing a firearm, as well as possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public, careless use and storage of a firearm and use of a firearm during the commission of an offence.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/02/26/edmonton-clayton-charges-hunger-strike.html#ixzz0hDyZPY13

2 Comments:
Sounds like the press really wants to blackball this guy.I wonder how they'd feel if it were their own children or loved ones being harrassed like WSIB victims are?
He's probably not even on a hunger strike. They've just neglected to send him his benefits again and he's too broke to buy food.
Been there:) It's hard to fight them when you don't eat. Must be a tactic of theirs.
Post a Comment
<< Home